Monday, June 3, 2013

   Renee gladman did some very interesting things in the book juice and her creativity was outstanding. At times she was so creative with her lanuage she chose I didn't even know what she was trying to say. But that is the point of fiction writing to take something and make it to the point it gravitates the writer to the story to the point they can't put the book down. I like the fact that she is in first person for pretty much every story in her book. I'm not sure if this symbolizes something but she sure makes you wonder. Alot of it is in her perception and mostly narrative.
    One of my favorite stories was probably proportion surving, the way she talks about life in this story. Not only is it completely interesting but it is so intriguing to almost the point you feel like you are right along with her. When she says "I knew it was me by the way my head felt: people find themselves in an idea and feel so specified by the idea that they are compelled to show it. Today all my ideas are liquid." She uses very good imagery in this and you can feel her struggles right along with the reading.  Also when she says "The juice on my mind was no longer juice. There was an absence there, but one so constant it became familiar. I did not want to drink it." she uses extreme metaphors because she obviously is not talking about juice. So what this does to me as a reader it makes me want to keep digging to find the hidden meaning behind juice, I thought she was very clever in doing that technique with this story.
    Another story I found interesting to read was no through street, this is when I started to realize how depressing this book is actually supose to be. Pretty much saying her home town has been industrialized to the point it is not even recognizable anymore and she could not deal with the change so she left town. When she came back standing on this street that she could not recognize anymore she noticed her sister who no longer recognized her. I thought wow that must be sad your own sister does not recognize you? But the whole point of this story was change, and to the point her and her sister had changed so much they didn't even have time for each other. Which led to her sister not recognizing her when coming back to town.
    The last story that popped out at me was the one in the very beginning with the first line saying "about the body I know little" I find that line disturbing pretty much saying people are nothing but bodies. I was quite confused through out this story because I had many different interprtations. I finally settled with the fact that she was a little crazy, and her thinking the town had left her was all in her mind. Alot of the things she talked about in this story were very dream like so that it where I came up with the fact she may not be all there.

1 comment: