Wednesday, May 29, 2013

    The fiction readings where much more interesting to me, I feel like I understood what was going on better in this unit. With fiction you still have to try to interpret what they mean but it is not as hard to get the feel of fiction as it is poetry so I liked that alot. One reading that I found quite interesting was the letter from home not only the meaning was interesting but they used words such as I churned the butter and I brewed the tea. It's almost as if this whole story was passed tense but then sometimes it also confused me as well like when it said are the children ready yet? This reading was so different to me because at times I really didn't understand what they where trying to say, but the structure and word choice of this reading made it pop.
   Another story I really like was the one about the wallet by Allen woodman he used some very good detail in his story. Also used metaphors similar to the ones we have talked about in class. One line that really stuck out to me was "trying to act feeble and childlike and he overdoes it like stage makeup on a community theater actor". In this line you just think of how much make up these people wear then you draw the comparison, it is very cool actually. Not to mention the whole moral of this story is to not let greed over come you by stealing other people's things because looks can be deceiving.
   When talking about fiction stories we have to make sure we use lots of details be that is what draws a reader in. Like in the reading The Colonial he says "on the windows there were gratings like those in a liquor store". When thinking of this line you just picture what the run down liquor store look like and that is exactly what the writer is wanting you to imagine. These are some very cool skills that make our writing a little better

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good, say more, expand, include more examples and deeper discussion of the stories. 14/20

    ReplyDelete